Translate

Thursday, July 19, 2012


I am posting a letter that I just wrote to a past student of mine who is also a very dear friend of mine.  I have been very busy this summer, and have neglected my blog.  My apologies to my readers.  I that this letter might be an interesting read to others.

Hi Snehal,

Nice to hear from you!  Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, we have been having some internet and/or computer problems....slower than ever.

I love the self-portrait, have you finished it yet?  Anymore watercolors?  Makes me want to get mine out.....think I might, and take them on this short trip to the Poconos with Karl next week.

Yes, I finished "Fighter".  I will send you a picture of it.  

I sold "The Soul Stirrers"!  

The show opening night in NYC went really well.  Jess Espey went up with Karl and me.  Jason couldn't go because he had a prior engagement.  Karl and Nelson got to talking, and nelson wants to paint Karl now.

The Intensive workshop is wrapping up its first week, I taught with Lea this afternoon, and will again tomorrow am.  Jason and Caroline helped out when we got into color this afternoon.

Thank-you so much for the "Wicked" study....I need to get it framed and hung up here at home.  I've been doing a lot of that this summer, hanging artwork here at home.

The pond is done!!!!  I have been dipping myself in it a lot, and so has Zeus!  He goes in several times a day.  He gets in and then slowly and deliberately lowers his torso into the water.  Sometimes he dunks his head into the water and then brings it up quickly to shake off.

Karl made a trailer film for the Philadelphia Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, and we went to the opening night show, where we watched the film "Elliot Loves", a film about a young gay guy and his search for love, for himself, and about his relationship with his mother.  Right when they were introducing the director, Gary Trencino, a woman sat next to me and whispered excitedly, "That's my brother!"  Then she proceeded to sob throughout the entire film, which was hard to watch because of his mother's mental and verbal abouse of him.  At one point I felt that I had to do something, so I gently put my hand on her shoulder.  She immediately calmed down, and whispered, "Thank-you!"  She told me later that my gesture centered her and brought her back to the present.  We ended up talking for a good hour after the film at the party.

Someone took a picture of me and Karl with this one guy who had a fabulous outfit on.....a tuxedo coat, and a rhinestone bowtie.  He had platinum blonde hair and dark sunglasses.  I posted it on Facebook, and one of my friends wrote back that she was so happy for me.....i think that she thought that I was "coming out"!  I haven't bothered to clarify the situation, I'm waiting to hear the rumors through the Mennonite grapevine!  

I also met a young man named Rob, who was one of the photographers at the event.  He came to Incamminati Monday and Tuesday to my studio to pose for a portrait that I am excited about.  I have included the picture of it from the end of the second day.  He posed a total of 6 hours so far.


I am also including some pics of Zeus "rescuing" me in the Wissahickon Creek at Valley Green in Fairmont park.  He gets very anxious when people are in the water, making noise and splashing about.  That particular day I was entertaining my niece, Elsie, in the water by falling backwards into it.  (Her mother was holding her!)  Zeus would not stop barking so Karl finally let him off his leash and Zeus jumped into the water and swam straight to me.  When he got to me, he circled around me several times before he determined that he had completed his mission, and that I indeed was safe.




Snehal, I hope that you don't mind, but I am going to forward this letter to some other folks as well.  It's rare for me to write such a long letter.  Thank-you for emailing me, and getting me to write back.  I am also going to post this on my blog as well.

Say hello to your mother and father for me!

How are the squirrels?

Love you!

Robin

'Bye for now all, hope that everyone is having a beautiful and memorable summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment